- Raw Banana / Vazhakai- 2 peeled cut lengthwise
- Brinjal / Kathirikai- 1/2 cup cut lengthwise
- Carrot - 1/2 cup cut lengthwise
- Elephant Yam / Chena Kizhangu- 1/2 cup cut lengthwise
- Cucumber - 1/2 cup cut lengthwise
- Pumpkin - 1/2 cup cut lengthwise
- Curry leaves a sprig
- Turmeric Powder / Manjal Podi - 1.5 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Water - 1/2 cup
- Thick Yogurt / Curd - 1/2 cup
Coconut - 1 cup grated
Green Chilli - 2
Cumin Seeds / Jeerakam - 1 tsp ( i used powder)
Shallots / Sambar Onion / Chinna Ulli – 4
For Tempering / Seasoning:
Coconut Oil - 2 tblspn
Mustard Seeds / Kaduku - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - 1 spring
- Grind all the ingredients given in the list to a little coarse paste without adding any water. Set this aside till use.
- Take all vegetables in a thick bottom pan. Sprinkle in 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder, salt and curry leaves and mix well. Add in water and press the vegetables with your hands so everything is well immersed.
- Cover this with a lid and bring it to a boil. Simmer this for 15 mins till the vegetables are done.
- Now add in the ground masala and mix well.Cook this for 5 mins.
- Take it off the heat and add in yogurt and mix well.
- Now make seasoning. Heat oil and crackle mustard seeds and curry leaves. Pour this over the avial and mix well.
Like us on Facebook & stay posted on delicious recipes: www.facebook.com/sunflameindia