- 3 cups Fresh coconut , grated
- 1-/2 cups Sugar
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1 teaspoon Cardamom (Elaichi) Powder
- To begin making the Coconut Burfi Recipe, we will first make the sugar syrup. In a medium size sauce pan; stir in the sugar and water with heat on medium. Once the sugar has melted continue to boil the sugar mixture until the liquid reaches a two string consistency.
- To know the right consistency - do the cold water candy test. Take few tablespoons of water in a cup; add a drop of sugar syrup to water. If it holds its shape like a softball and doesn’t dissolve into water then it’s at the right consistency.
- Add the grated coconut, and cardamom powder to the sugar syrup. With the heat on medium continue stirring frequently to prevent the mixture from sticking to the pan.
- In 10 to 15 minutes, the mixture will thicken and will come away from the sides of the pan. This happens with the coconut releasing its oil.
- At this stage turn off the heat and be careful not to stir any longer on heat as the mixture can get over cooked and will not set to the consistency required. The sugar will crystallize making the burfi very hard.
- Transfer the coconut burfi mixture to a tray (8 x 8 inch square which has a 2 inch min height) greased with ghee.
- Level the burfi mixture. Run a knife to cut into squares and allow it to cool and set on the tray for more than a couple of hours.
- Once cooled completely, separate the pre cut Coconut Burfi and serve for festivals and special occasions.
- Store the Coconut Burfi in air tight containers in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks.
- Serve the Coconut Burfi Recipe
Like us on Facebook & stay posted on delicious recipes: www.facebook.com/sunflameindia