- ¾ cup basmati rice
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup half and half (10% cream)
- ¼ cup sugar + a little extra if you like your phirni sweeter
- 2 pods cardamom, seeds removed and crushed lightly
- A generous pinch of saffron
- A handful of unsalted pistachios, shelled and chopped roughly
- Put the rice in a food processor or blender, and whirl until coarsely powdered.
- Place the powdered rice in Sunflame Deep karahi, then add the 3 cups milk and crushed cardamom seeds.
- Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for about 10 - 12 minutes, stirring ocasionally, until the rice is tender and cooked. I like a little texture to my pudding, so I prefer to keep my rice a little on the undercooked side, but you can cook the rice completely to make it super soft. Just simmer for an additional 5 minutes or so.
- Add the half and half and the sugar, and stir. Add the saffron. Bring the heat back up to medium, and cook until the pudding is thick and creamy.
- This dessert can be served warm or cold. If serving cold, pour into small bowls and chill in the fridge until set. Serve with a sprinkling of chopped pistachios on top.
Like us on Facebook & stay posted on delicious recipes: www.facebook.com/sunflameindia