- 1 ½ cup basmati rice (soaked for at least 10 mins)
- 1 potato cubed
- 1 carrot chopped
- ¼ cup green peas
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 tbsp. ginger garlic paste
- Handful mint leaves or pudina
- Handful Coriander leaves (optional)
- 1 to 2 green chili (slit)
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice (optional)
- 1 ½ to 2 tsp. Biryani Masala Powder (adjust to suit your taste)
- 2 ½ cups water or thin coconut milk
- 2 to 3 tbsp. Oil (or ghee)
- fried capsicum or fried cashews for garnish (optional)
- 1 bay leaf (or tej patta)
- 4 green cardamoms (or elaichi)
- 1 star anise (or chakri phool)
- 2 1 inch cinnamon stick (or dalchini)
- 6 cloves (or laung)
- ½ tsp. shahi jeera
- Few pepper corn crushed (optional)
Soak rice for at least 10 minutes. Drain the water and set aside.
Chop all the veggies and mint. Keep these aside as well.
Making veg biryani
Add oil to a Sunflame pressure cooker and heat it.
Add spices and fry till you get a nice aroma for one to 2 minutes.
Fry onions and green chilies until golden.
Add ginger garlic paste and saute until the raw smell has gone off.
Add all chopped vegetables and fry for about 2 minutes.
Add mint leaves, biryani masala and saute again for 2 more minutes.
Measure and pour water or coconut milk. Add salt and lemon juice.
Stir well and taste the water. If needed add more salt.
When the water begins to boil, add drained rice and mix.
Close the lid and let the cooker whistle once on a low flame. Turn off the stove.
When the pressure goes down, open the lid and fluff up.
Serve veg biryani with raita.
Like us on Facebook & stay posted on delicious recipes: www.facebook.com/sunflameindia