Ingredients to make Ghugni
1 cup Dry white peas , soaked for 4 hourse
1 inch Ginger , grated
1/2 teaspoon Kalonji (Onion Seeds)
1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
1 teaspoon , Moodi Masala Powder
1 Lemon juice
2 Green Chillies , finely chopped
1 inch Ginger , thinly sliced
3 sprig Coriander leaves (Dhania) , finely chopped
salt to taste
Ingredients for Moodi Masala (makes 1 cup approximately)
1/4 cup Cumin seeds
1/4 cup Coriander seeds
1/8 cup Rock Salt
1/8 cup White pepper powder
1/8 cup Dry mango powder (amchur)
1/8 cup Red chilli powder
10 Bay leaves (tej patta)
- To begin making the Calcutta Style Ghugni Recipe, we you will first have to have a Moodi Masala ready.
- To make the moodi masala, roast the cumin and coriander seeds until browned well. Roast on low heat, so it does not burn and turn black. Remove from heat and keep it aside.
- Next roast the bay leaves until crisp. When you crumble with hands it will crush immediately. Combine all the roasted ingredients with the rest of the remaining ingredients and blend into a fine powder.
- Store the Muri/Moodi Masala in the freezer to retain freshness for about 4 to 6 months.
- To next step is to make the Ghugni Recipe. We will first cook the soaked yellow peas until soft and mushy.
- Peas comes under the legume category when dried and hence requires the similar amount of soaking and cooking time as other legumes. Once the yellow peas are cooked, making the Ghugni is very simple.
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in a pan; add in the grated ginger, turmeric powder, the cooked peas and moodi masala. Adjust the salt as required.
- Give the Ghugni a quick boil, then stir in the chopped coriander leaves and turn off the heat.
- Serve the Calcutta Ghugni along with thinly sliced ginger and more green chillies on the top as a tea time snack or even along with theplas for dinner.
Source: http://www.archanaskitchen.com/calcutta-ghugni- recipe-a- delicious-street- food-snack-from-dried- peas
Like us on Facebook & stay posted on delicious recipes: www.facebook.com/sunflameindia