- 1 kg Chicken
- 300 gms Spinach blanched and pureed.
- 250 gms Yogurt
- 1/2 tbsp Garlic paste
- 1/2 tbsp Ginger paste
- 1 tsp Green chilli paste
- 3 Onions medium sized, ground to paste
- 1 tsp Black pepper powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 Bay leaf
- 8-10 Black peppercorn
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 4 Cloves
- 4 Green cardamom
- 1 inch Cinnamon stick
- 1 ½ tsp Red chilli powder
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Garam masala powder
- 2 tbsp Tomato puree
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg grated
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- Salt as per taste
- 3 tbsp Oil
- 2 tbsp Ghee
Ingredients to marinate chicken
How To Make Chicken Saag Recipe on Stove Top
- Heat an oil and ghee or butter together in a pan.
- Add whole spices and allow them to crackle.
- Add marinated chicken and sauté on high heat for 2 minutes. Stir in between.
- Add red chili powder, turmeric, coriander powder, tomato puree and mix well.
- Add 1/2 cup of water, cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes.
- Add pureed spinach, garam masala powder, crushed nutmeg and mix well.
- Adjust the consistency if required. Add lemon juice, cook on medium heat for another 3-4 minutes or until done.
- Dish out, garnish with coriander leaves.
- In a large bowl, add all the ingredients along with chicken.
- Combine everything well, cover and allow it, marinate for an hour under refrigeration.
- Switch on the IP and press 'Sauté' button. Once it displays 'Hot' add oil and ghee together. Then, add whole spices and fry for 30 seconds.
- Add marinated chicken and sauté for a minute.
- Cover IP glass lid or any lid that fits the IP to and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add red chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, tomato puree, salt and mix well. Cook for another 1 minute. Ensure to deglaze if anything is stuck at the bottom.
- Add spinach puree, garam masala powder, nutmeg powder.
- Now, add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water depending upon the gravy consistency you need.
- Put the IP lid with pressure valve in sealing position. Cancel 'sauté' button and press manual/pressure cook button, set the timer to 4 minutes on high pressure. Allow it to pressure cook.
- Once the IP beeps, do quick pressure release with pressure valve in venting position.
- Open the pot, add lemon juice and mix.
- Only if the gravy is thin, switch on the 'sauté' mode and simmer on low for another 2-3 minutes, to evaporate some of the liquid giving semi thick creamy consistency.
- Instant pot chicken saag is ready, dish out, garnish and serve.
How To Make Instant Pot Chicken Saag Recipe