- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 red or green bell pepper (capsicum), deseeded and diced
- 250 g | 9 oz lean sausages of your choice, casings removed (or ground sausage meat)*
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- ¾-1 teaspoon chilli powder (mild - adjust to your taste)
- Pinch of Cayenne (optional)
- 2 x 400 g | 14 oz tins whole peeled tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- salt to taste
- 6 large eggs
- ¼ cup chopped flat leaf parsley or cilantro/coriander leaves, to serve
- Flatbread bread, to serve
- Heat oil in a large non stick pan or skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and transparent. Add garlic, bell pepper, ground sausage, cumin, paprika and chilli; cook, stirring occasionally, until garlic is soft and fragrant.
- Add tomatoes and their juice into the pan with the tomato paste. Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened slightly (about 10-15 minutes). Season with salt to taste.
- Evenly distribute small indents into the sauce with a spoon and crack each egg into them. Cover pan with lid and cook until yolks are just set (it takes about 5 minutes). Using a spoon, baste the whites of the eggs with the tomato sauce, being careful not to disturb the yolk. Sprinkle shakshuka with parsley (or cilantro) and serve with flatbread, for dipping.
Like us on Facebook & stay posted on delicious recipes: www.facebook.com/sunflameindia