- 2 cups chopped spinach (palak)
- 1/2 cup toovar (arhar) dal
- 1 tsp finely chopped ginger (adrak)
- 1 tsp finely chopped green chillies
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania)
- Salt to taste
For The Tempering
- 3 bayleaves (tejpatta)
- 3 cloves (laung / lavang)
- 3 whole dry kashmiri red chillies
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- A pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 1 tsp oil
- Clean, wash and soak the toovar dal for 15 to 20 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Combine the soaked toovar dal, ginger, green chillies, turmeric powder, salt and 3 cups of water and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- For the tempering, heat the oil in a pan. Add the bay leaves, cloves, red chillies, cumin seeds and asafoetida.
- When the cumin seeds crackle, add the spinach and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the cooked dal, chilli powder and coriander and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot.