- 1 1/2 cups sooji (semolina)
- 1/2 cup ghee
- 3/4 cup mixture of cashews (coarsely chopped ) and whole raisins/sultanas
- 3 cups hot water
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 5 pods green cardamom split open
- Coarsely chopped dried fruits or nuts for garnish
- Heat a deep pan over medium heat and when it is hot, add the ghee. When the ghee melts, add the sooji and stir to mix well.
- Roast the sooji (stirring frequently) until it begins to turn a very light golden color and gives off a faint aroma. This aroma is enough to make your mouth water! The roasted sooji will have the grainy consistency of wet sand at the beach.
- Add the cashews and raisins to the sooji and mix well.
- While you are roasting the sooji, in a separate pot over medium heat, bring the water, milk, sugar and cardamom to a rolling boil, stirring often.
- This next step involves much bubbling and splashing so be prepared and careful! When the sooji is roasted, gently add the water-milk mixture, stirring all the while to prevent lumps from forming. Sometimes it helps to have a cooking partner who will pour while you stir. If any lumps do form, make sure to break them with the back of the stirring spoon so you get a smooth paste-like consistency.
- Cook the mixture until it is thick and begins to come away from the sides of the pan.
- Turn off the heat and allow the mixture to cool to lukewarm. Serve in individual bowls, garnished with coarsely chopped dried fruit or nuts if desired.
Like us on Facebook & stay posted on delicious recipes: www.facebook.com/sunflameindia