Milk - 1 liter (5 cup, full cream)
Sugar - 300 gram (1.5 cup)
Lemon - 2 (squeeze out the juice)
- 1. Wash any big utensil and pour milk for boiling. Once milk starts boiling, turn off the gas and make milk cool down (keep it 80% hot). Add water in lemon juice.
- 2. Mix little lemon juice at a time in milk and mix well. Add lemon juice until milk starts to coagulant. Once milk starts to coagulate stop adding lemon juice in milk. Strain the coagulated milk in any muslin cloth. Spread cloth over sieve and place a utensil beneath the sieve. Pour coagulated milk on top of the cloth. All water will drain out in utensil kept beneath the sieve and chena will be left on the top. Pour 1-2 cup cold water on chena so that it becomes cool and the savory flavor of lemon juice gets washed away. Cover chena from all sides and squeeze rest of water. Soft chena is ready.
- 3. Take out chena in any plate and with help of your hands mash and knead to make it soft and tender. Divide the chena in 10-12 parts. Take one part and bind it with hands giving it a shape of ladoo. Place this ball in any plate. Like wise prepare all balls.
- 4. Cook rasgullas in pressure cooker as its very less time consuming. For making rasgullas we need high temperature, this is why we use pressure cooker.
- 5. Add sugar and 4 cup water in pressure cooker and let it boil. When it starts boiling place the entire prepared balls in cooker one by one. Cover it with lid and let it simmer once. After it simmers once reduce the flame and cook for 7-8 minutes more.
- 6. Take cold water in any utensil and place pressure cooker in it. Cool the cooker or place it below water tap so that it becomes cool quickly. Open with alertness and take out rasgullas along with sugar syrup in a bowl and make them cool down. After 5-6 hours rasgullas become more sweet and tasty. Serve chilled sponge rasgullas.
To make chena make sure you cool down the milk a bit. Add 1 cup water in milk for making it cool quickly. This makes chena softer and rasgullas comes out spongier.
Source - http://nishamadhulika.com/en/774-bengali- sponge-rasgulla- recipe.html
Like us on Facebook & stay posted on delicious recipes: www.facebook.com/sunflameindia