2 cups (360 gm) parboiled rice
1/2 cup (90 gm) split and husked Bengal Gram (dhuli urad)
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
2 tsp salt
An iron griddle or tawa
Oil to smear the pan for cooking the uttapam
- Soak rice, daal and methi in water for 5-6 hours.
- Grind fine, add salt and enough water to make a dropping consistency and leave to ferment 5-6 hours.
- Heat tawa, and brush oil over it. When really hot, splash a little water over it, and pour about 1 cup of batter on to it.
- It will spread a little. When the edges start browning a bit, pour a trail of oil around it.
- Turn it over and let it brown on the other side too.
For an onion uttapam:
Before you turn the uttapam over, sprinkle a mixture of finely chopped onions, tomatoes, coriander leaves and green chillies.
Source: http://food.ndtv.com/recipe-uttapam- 489019
Like us on Facebook & stay posted on delicious recipes: www.facebook.com/sunflameindia